Here’s my linux favourite commands, by type :
1. egrep : aaah… if I had to keep only one, this would be the one I’d choose… can’t spend 10 minutes without using it.
2. sed : because I always need to replace something by something else 10 times on each line in huge files
3. xargs : helps me avoid the for loop, shorter to write, easier to remember and understand when you find it in history
4. awk : for me the most difficult one to use, but I so know that it can do just what I want that I always take the time.
5. kill : ha ha, makes me feel I’m powerful
6. ps fauxww : makes me think I can watch everything that’s happening in real time. Like watching 10 movies at the same time.
7. aptitude : I like his way of telling me everything of what he’s doing… so chatty !
8. dstat : this one is really good : tells me a lot of things and with colors, I think he just knows what I’m looking for each time I call him.
9. ssh : is it necessary to say something about it? without him I’d be nothing.
10. telnet : I like the raw output, no interpretation, he’s stupid and this is sometimes really appreciable
11. host : simple tool for so great usefulness, even the basic usage is perfect
12. nmap : I looove knowing everything about hosts I can’t access…
13. tcpdump : really useful when you really dont understand what’s happening.
14. netstat : nmap from the inside. Feels like a treasure hunt sometimes.
15. mtr : seems just easy and fast, but also gives a lot of interesting information.
16. vim : makes me save so much time
17. screen : How did they live before screen? And I use only a small amount of its potential…
18. fdisk : boring in the begenning, fun once you know it by heart
19. sfdisk : really handy to mirror a disk partitionning scheme
20. mdadm : I love mdadm. Just love it, don’t know why.